[jakartaee-platform-dev] Next phase of Jakarta EE 9 development

Hi Project Leads,
One of the boxes in the Checklist in each of the Jakarta EE 9 Epic Issues says to prep your Draft PRs for review...

[ ]Draft Specification and Apidoc PRs ready for review
   Like we did for Jakarta EE 8, draft PRs need to be created and reviewed in preparation for the final ballots.

Many of you are probably wondering what these Draft PRs entail -- especially since we have so many new volunteers with the Jakarta EE 9 effort!  Hopefully, this note will help you with this next step in the development process.

There is a bit more information in the header for Pre-Release Review Preparation columnon the Jakarta EE 9 Project Plan.  But, you can only write so much in one of those Project Board notes...

A complete description of creating the Final Specification Version and the Draft PR process can be found in the Specifications Operations Guide, but let me highlight a few things:
  • These Draft PRs will eventually be used to update the Specification Pages on the Jakarta EE web site.  As a reminder, I pre-created the set of Specification Pages for Jakarta EE 9.  So, you can view the current content of your Project's Specification Pages by clicking on the previous link.
  • The Draft PRs are created against the Specifications repository.
  • Creating these Draft PRs will automatically include this Checklist Templateto help remember all of the necessary steps.

TODO:
Create a preliminary Draft Specification PR.  These Draft PRs can be created at any time.  You do not have to be ready with your final Spec, API, TCK, or CI.  You could do something very simple like remove the "Under Development" in the heading just to initiate the Draft PR.  I'd like to ensure that every Project understands this critical part of the Release process by initiating a Draft PR.  I would suggest that one of the leads or a "goto" person create this Specification Draft PR since the updating of the Description (and the corresponding Checklist) will be limited to the Initiator and members of the Specifications repository.  This will help with maintaining the current state of the Checklist.  Thanks for your help!

Examples:
We have a few examples available for your viewing pleasure:
https://github.com/jakartaee/specifications/pulls(Activation, Annotations, and Managed Beans)

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: