[jakartaee-platform-dev] RMI-IIOP and CORBA

Bill,

we are maintaining a huge RMI/IIOP based core base for our customers world
wide, so at time of writing we are an active massive user of that
technology. It is a lot of work to replace RMI/IIOP in that code, and it
will need many months to finish this already started work. In the end this
consumes about 10% of our annual development investments. You can imagine,
we discussed this a lot and our opinion is heavily biased due to the sum of
money we have to invest.

Nevertheless, we do NOT veto your plan:

 0 for removing RMI-IIOP and CORBA from the platform by simply not adopting
it from Java SE. It is a totally outdated technology and has to get pruned
one fine day. But we think it would be better to officially announce it to
be "deprecated" in EE 9 and finally "pruned" in EE 10 (even if this
technically is incorrect, it is what users feel about it).

 0 for whether products may ship RMI-IIOP and CORBA. While this breaks WORA
we understand that it is better to overhaul existing applications to make
them future-proof. Also, it opens the business model of paid RMI-IIOP and
CORBA niche products. If we would do the EE 9 / EE 10 steps proposed above,
product owners have time to prepare this.

Regards
-Markus

I just realized that the Jakarta EE 9 Release Plan doesn't say anything
explicit about RMI-IIOP or CORBA.   They are both removed from JDK 11,
and Jakarta EE 9 explicitly removes EJB interoperability, which depends
on RMI-IIOP, but nothing is said about RMI-IIOP or CORBA themselves.

My original Jakarta EE 9 proposal was explicit that RMI-IIOP and CORBA
would not be included.  I think we should update the current plan to make
this explicit as well.

Note that this means any product providing backwards compatibility will
need to provide a complete ORB and RMI-IIOP support, including the javax.rmi
APIs.  (The javax.rmi APIs would not be migrated to the jakarta namespace.)

Comments?