Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: Specifications to add in Jakarta EE 9

Kevin Sutter wrote on 11/25/19 1:14 PM:
>  It should really be all or nothing.

Does that include JAXB?  I think that's what is pulling in the SOAP web services support due to the tight coupling between JAX-WS and JAXB.  If we do not include JAX-WS, then existing app servers need to support multiple versions of the JAXB APIs.
No, XML is independent of and useful without SOAP.

>  Perhaps those who feel a strong market need for SOAP web services should propose a SOAP profile as a superset of Jakarta EE 9 and add the SOAP support there?

Maybe there's a compromise here...  Could this SOAP profile come after Jakarta EE 9?
Yes.

What if we continue with the proposals as currently defined to basically drop all of the SOAP Web Services Specs for Jakarta EE 9.  Then, if a need is determined, then allow someone to propose a SOAP web services profile for Jakarta EE 10 to add these back in?
In theory, they could even propose a profile based on Jakarta EE 9, assuming nothing in the base Jakarta EE 9 full platform spec would need to change in order to support that profile.  It could just be a complete layer on top of Jakarta EE 9.

Fully understand the resource burden with maintaining the artifacts associated with SOAP web services.  Even bringing the TCKs up to snuff with the current Jakarta EE TCK execution requirements would be a large effort.
Yup.  Who wants it bad enough to do all that work?

To be clear, some of us are going to need to support JAX-WS et. al. in our Jakarta EE 9 products, and will do so using the code contributed to EE4J.  The difference is between maintaining the existing code to support existing customers, vs. enhancing the specs, TCK, and code to support new customers.  It's the latter that requires new Jakarta specs, and for which I don't see a lot of interest.

Back to the top