Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

Hi,

On 09.05.19 11:47, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
2) Behaviour changes, removing methods etc
There has always been an element of this in moving from one Java EE level to another. I don’t think we should be doing anything that will prevent older Java EE apps forward. I speak regularly to people who have 15 year old Java EE applications and they are going to want to be able to continue running those in future and while we can support that with Liberty because we already support Java EE 7 & 8, I think the people who own those applications will need and want a future for them.

Of course I’m involved in implementing these things, so my view may be skewed somewhat by that, but I think the need for a frictionless move from Java EE to Jakarta EE is critical.

I certainly would like to have a frictionless move from Java EE 8 to Jakarta EE 8. I was also assuming that things that are slated for removal are deprecated first. So if Jakarta EE 8 is identical to Java EE 8 and Jakarta EE 9 has only the namespace change, that would mean the first deprecations in Jakarta EE 10 and first removals no earlier than Jakarta EE 11.

Kind regards,

Erik Brangs

Back to the top