Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] [EXTERNAL] Re: Proposal: Jakarta Logging

Arjan/Ed/All,

Allow me to add a few more thoughts and memories to this topic.

Markus Eisele, currently at Red Hat was hoping to get a logging JSR into the JCP many years ago, but it did not even reach proposal phase.
From what I recall the committers to SLF4J/Logback and Log4J could not agree which one should be the RI, so as asked earlier in this thread, would SLF4J participate in this effort now and eventually be happy to have it replace major parts of its API?

I remember, Jakarta Data had a hard time getting started and a broad enough vendor representation, but eventually committers from IBM (also co-lead), Hibernate (Red Hat), Micronaut and Oracle joined, with occasional shout-ins from the sideline by Spring Data committers as well. It remains to be seen, if Spring also adopts it, but IBM and Hibernate already do.

Is a similar adoption likely for the logging spec?

As for the JCP, I doubt with the JDK throwing more and more things out, e.g. SecurityManager, its interest and ability would go anywhere beyond System.Logger in JEP 264: https://openjdk.org/jeps/264 Maybe adding a method or feature here and there, but I doubt, a logging JSR, comparable to say 310 is ever going to happen there.

As for the 5 year old Microprofile thread, I don't see much sense in a log abstraction like this proposal in Microprofile either, should it fail a creation review.
Instead where the support for logs by multiple APIs (Log4J 1/2, JUL, SLF4J,...) is not already there, this looks like a viable addition to Microprofile Telemetry https://microprofile.io/specifications/telemetry/ beyond 2.0. Based on https://openliberty.io/docs/latest/mptelemetry-logging.html at least JUL is supported already. If others cannot be configured as well, that could be something to improve.

Kind Regards,
Werner

From: jakarta.ee-spec <jakarta.ee-spec-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Arjan Tijms via jakarta.ee-spec <jakarta.ee-spec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2024 10:51 AM
To: Jakarta specification discussions <jakarta.ee-spec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Arjan Tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] [EXTERNAL] Re: Proposal: Jakarta Logging

Hi,

I remember logging being discussed extensively during the Java EE 6 and Java EE 7 days as a candidate for standardisation.

From then, an important distinction we made was between:

1. Developing (or not) an actual API for logging along with an implementation thereof, perhaps tailored towards the typical multi-user server logs
2. Standardizing logging configuration for the platform

Ad 2) Currently enabling logging is highly implementation specific. For instance, configuring log levels for EclipseLink or Hibernate is different from doing that for Mojarra. A user has to dive into the internals of what a platform implementation is using most of the time.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms