Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] Proposal: Jakarta Logging

Hello,

I would like to respond to the general statement "please don't introduce another logging API".

Three committers to this proposal are also Log4j members. We are currently working on Log4j 3. Maybe it is not well known, but Log4j 2 already has a separate API. With 3.x approaching, we will have *another* API.

We want to avoid introducing yet another API. That is why we propose a project that will not add another one, but make the Log4j 3 and also hopefully the Log4j 2 obsolete and Log4j is using the standard Jakarta API natively. With that move we hope that other Logging solution providers will follow.

I’ve seen the xkcd comic about competing standards. If Jakarta does not pass this proposal, we’ll end up with more 'standard' APIs, including one for Log4j 3.

We, the three people that initiated this proposal, want to unite the community, and no longer compete between Log4j API and Slf4j API. Being in the Log4j community for 15 years and experiencing log4shell first hand I think it is long overdue.

The Java world, in my opinion, urgently needs a common API that ends the logging framework discussion and let's everyone switch their provider as they please.

Thanks
Christian