Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] [External] : Re: Ratified Implementations and special designation in the eyes of users

On Feb 10, 2021, at 7:18 PM, David Blevins <dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hope people understand the pragmatism intended.  There absolutely is room to praise the hard work of the implementations on the ballot and we absolutely should do that.  We just need to be careful how.

In an attempt to give succinct guidance:

 - Good: Big, short-term boosts at release time.  Ride that wave as long as you can.  Eventually the competition will show up and things will level out.

 - Bad: Permanent boosts, no matter how small, that last forever and bias users to one implementation no matter how much competition shows up later.

What do people think of the above?  It'd be great of we could agree and codify some guiding principles.  That way when this topic comes up, we're not starting from scratch every time and we have a general rule of thumb to hold ideas against to get a gut feel if we might be on track or off track.

I have a gut feel that no matter how many times this topic comes up people just understand "David's doesn't think rewarding hard work is reasonable" and feel attacked.  That is in no way the intent.

-David

Back to the top