Re: [jakarta.ee-community] WildFly Domain Mode in Containers

Hi Ruslan,
I have read your blog post but I disagree with two aspects that you described.
First of all it seems that you associate the cluster and high availability features with the use of the domain mode. This is not true. Wildfly has got the same features whether it is used in standalone mode or in domain mode. So you don't need to configure a domain to obtain cluster in container environment.
The second one is related to the management web console: the purpose is to have a unique entry point to configure and manage a group of servers, simplifing the management of the configurations.
In a container enviroments you don't need it and you don't change configurations: changing a container is wrong, you should change its image. When you say "The old question at the official developers portal is still not answered with any adequate instruction that just proves the presence of the issue." you have posted a screenshot of a conversation of 2014. The absence of the domain is not an issue but it's a choice: you can obtain cluster and HA in standalone mode, you don't set static IP in order to enable communication between domain and host controller, and you don't change the image settings, never. You can migrate a JEE monolith application, distributable and stateful, using a wildfly standalone mode, without touch the code.
By the way, the console looks great and the other aspects of the product seems very interesting.

my2cents

Mauro Vocale

Hi folks, I would like to share our latest solution for migrating some sort of legacy Java EE applications to containers. The article at the link below describes the concept of the decomposition approach we use for WildFly clusters running in Managed Domain mode.

https://jelastic.com/blog/wildfly-managed-domain-in-containers-auto-micro-clustering-and-scaling/

We know that new projects prefer not to use managed domain mode due to its complexity and issues while running inside containers, but based on the feedback we receive there is a lot of companies that still run legacy Java EE workloads in VMs. So we decided to spend some efforts for sharing our knowledge on building micro clusters as a transition point to the desirable microservices.

Any constructive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Regards

--
Ruslan
CEO @ Jelastic