[iot-wg] Cloud Service Orchestration Standard & Open Source for Industry 4.0 and other use cases?

Hi Jason,

Just saw your email below (changed email subject). For orchestration of services, you may find the OASIS TOSCA (1) open standard interesting. It is from the same standards organization that developed MQTT, as you may know, and was created by a community of many companies, including your own.

TOSCA is a machine readable intent model DSL based on YAML that describes the topology, physical and virtual components, relationships, dependencies, requirements, and capabilities of services and applications in the cloud, with interest in extending the model further out to the Edge and various gateways, etc. There is already a profile under development for Network Function Virtualization (NFV).

There are many open source implementations, e.g., Eclipse, Apache, others. I think the Eclipse version may be based on an older XML-version of the standard, but I am not sure.

The OASIS TOSCA Technical Committee (TC) has in informal and incomplete list (2) of open source implementations and a LinkedIN group (3). There is a good, in-depth overview by the spec editor from about a year ago on YouTube (4).

(1) https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=tosca
(2) https://wiki.oasis-open.org/tosca/TOSCA-implementations
(3) https://projects.eclipse.org/free-tags/tosca
(4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpvYVWkINKQ

Enjoy!

Regards,
Paul

Paul Lipton
CA Technologies, Office of the CTO
VP, Industry Standards and Open Source
CA Council for Technical Excellence
Mobile: +1 267 987-6887

OASIS Board of Directors
DMTF Board of Directors
Eclipse Foundation Board of Directors
OMG Board of Directors
OASIS TOSCA Technical Committee, Co-chair
ISO/IEC JTC 1 U.S. Approved Delegate: SC38 (Cloud), and SC41 (Internet of Things), and WG11 (Smart Cities)