From: iot-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:iot-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Benjamin Cabé
Sent: Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2017 18:19
To: IoT Working Group mailing list <iot-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [iot-wg] Agenda for next IoT WG Meeting

Hi Jiaxin,

It was great to have you on the call yesterday. I will be commenting inline. I hope others interested in the testbed will feel free to jump in the discussion as well :-)

1)         Indeed only collecting data from devices and controlling the device is not sufficient. For industry 4.0, we eventually will need some high level coordination to show the intelligence. For example:

I agree that we will need to come up with more than just data collection / device control although there is certainly already value in showing that we can solve the connectivity aspect of industrial IoT, like we discussed in the call yesterday.

a)         Big data to collected data for predictive maintenance

b)         Use data mining to uncover the implicit patterns behind the collected data that optimizations may be enforced to enhance the production procedure

c)         Service orchestration on the north bound APIs that I may randomly combine and sequence the device services to develop production or automatic testing scripts.

These are all very valid suggestions and I certainly hope the testbed can address at least some of them. This would certainly require a more specific use case than the one depicted in the presentation so far, that is to say agree on a particular manufacturing process that we aim at optimizing vs. simply address the "let's connect all the machine" side of things.

2)         The next problem is that I understand we don’t have any open source projects under Eclipse that can deliver big data algorithms or service orchestration? We may use Kura Wire for orchestration, but is it only used on gateway?

Correct. However, I would like to make it clear that the Eclipse IoT Open Testbeds should be an opportunity for us to demonstrate how we can interface with other existing open source projects (and for everything big data, I certainly hope to build bridges with the great stuff coming from Apache, as an example). Also, it is an assumed goal of the testbeds to help highlight the value add of the participating member companies, and their commercial offering around (Eclipse) IoT. So if Company A has a bleeding edge commercial solution for data analytics and would like to showcase how it can get data off of e.g Kapua and process it, it would be great. Same if Company B would connect their proprietary PLCs to the Kapua backend, etc.

You're making a very good point regarding Eclipse Kura Wires, and like Pascal pointed out in a comment on the presentation, it would certainly be nice to use the testbed as a way to showcase the edge/fog computing capabilities of Eclipse Kura (and possibly other projects like Eclipse ioFog?).

3)         For industry 4.0, there is a part which is very important that is the abstraction of devices. Because all devices need to be abstracted to services for big data and orchestration purpose. From this perspective, do you think we need Ditto in the picture as well? Or do you think Hono and Kapua can already provide the intelligence we need.

 I think it would be great to get Eclipse Ditto to play a role indeed (although the code hasn't been contributed to Eclipse yet, fwiw). Eclipse Vorto also comes to mind.

4)         Smart manufacturing is of great interest to me, however, we currently don’t host any Eclipse projects. Is there any other way that we can be involved in this?

You just contributed, FWIW ;-) I see many ways for companies that do not directly contribute to or lead any Eclipse project to get involved, one being helping out with defining the use case and overall scope of the testbed, like you just did! For a company like Huawei, I guess it would be interesting to see, for example, if it would make sense to showcase NB-IoT for low-power communication of wireless industrial equipment? So maybe that's another possible area of contribution? Thinking out loud here but another angle would be running PPMP on top of LiteOS and show how easy it would be to then connect devices running LiteOS to the testbed backend? Certainly happy to have a quick chat with you and brainstorm further :-)

Thanks again for the valuable feedback, and looking forward to hearing back your thoughts as well as others'!

Benjamin -

Best Regards,

Jiaxin (Jason) Yin

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

Company_logo

Office number: 025-56624582
Email address: yinjiaxin@xxxxxxxxxx

Company website: www.huawei.com

recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by