Re: [iot-wg] Re-start Eclipse IoT WG Steering Committee

Kai,

Thank you for the edits and the feedback.

Please see my comments below.

However, there are also some issues that I would like to discuss on this list and in our meeting tomorrow:

1. The section on the Steering Committee Roles and Responsibilities defines several responsibilities around "approving" results created by the IoT Working Group such as

- "technical architecture and composition of any Eclipse IoT solution stack".

- "Eclipse IoT Testbeds"

- "any Eclipse IoT documents, include technical architectures, blueprints, white papers"

I would really like to better understand what the term "approval" actually implies in this context. As stated before, I am a little afraid that the people who do the actual work creating these artifacts will no longer be in charge of agreeing on what should be done and how it should look like. My understanding of the steering committee members is still very poor so at least I am in need of some clarification here.

>>> Regarding steering committee members, the companies that have expressed an interest in participating in the steering committee and their representatives are Red Hat (James Kirkland), Bosch (Stefan Ferber) and Eurotech (Marco Carrer).  I am hoping other companies will also join in the future.

2. What is the role and responsibility of the "chair" of the IoT Working Group?

Is that just a "formal" role required by the inner workings of the foundation?

>>> Right now, I act as the chair of the Working Group meeting. I put together an agenda and run the meetings. In an ideal world, a community member would be taking on this role so a process of selecting a chair needs to be in place.  FWIW, I don’t mind continuing in the role as chair so I don’t expect this to be a change.  It is included here so in the future we do have a process for selecting a chair.

3. My understanding is that a "Steering Committee Member" will usually be an organization. That organization is supposed to provide "executive level representation" at the quarterly steering committee meetings.Is there any need for the organizations to be represented

in their role as steering committee members in between the quarterly meetings? Put another way: are the quarterly meetings the only occasion on which the steering committee actually decides on anything or puts things in motion?

>>> This will be up to the steering committee.  The quarterly meetings is expected to be the minimum number of meetings.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Schöneberger Ufer 89-91
10785 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered office: Berlin, Register court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 148411 B;