[iot-wg] documentation example

On the working group call today there was a request to get information on how some other projects do docs. For Che our docs are here: https://eclipse-che.readme.io/docs/

This is using the Readme.io platform which is free for open source projects. The platform is easy to use and it's default styles are easy to read. Additionally anyone can suggest edits to a page and those are pulled together for admins to review and accept (merge) or reject.

We've gotten many positive comments from users on these docs.

But...we're actually thinking of moving away from this platform for one reason: contributors are more comfortable doing docs in markdown in GitHub. So we are moving toward putting our docs into a subdirectory in the GitHub repo and then use a tool (there are many) to generate static HTML based on those pages with the addition of a left-nav, etc...

For projects that don't really need or want a lot of contributor documentation then Readme is fantastic.

Regards,
Brad

Back to the top