[iot-wg] IoT Server Platform

Dear readers of the IoT Working Group mailing list,

for some time now the IoT Working Group has been a great place for people and organizations to discuss all sorts of technical issues regarding the development of Internet of Things solutions. Some great technology has been created (and still is in the process of being created) within several eclipse IoT projects like Mosquitto, Paho, leshan, Californium, Kura and others. I assume that many of these technologies find their way into arbitrary IoT solutions created by individuals and/or organizations that may or may not be engaged in the IoT Working Group.

Today I am reaching out to you in order to find people interested in extending the scope of the working group to the back end side of IoT solutions and in particular to technology required and suitable for building IoT solutions for the cloud. I think that the technology created so far within our projects can be put to good use in creating specific cloud based IoT solutions as well. However, my feeling is that we could benefit a lot from open source implementations of IoT specific functionality common to most if not all cloud based IoT solutions. The big players in the IT industry like Microsoft, IBM and SAP are already starting to create services on their respective platforms explicitly addressing the IoT domain. They provide services for connecting, managing and interacting with millions of devices, doing data analytics etc. While I expect these services to be powerful and convenient to use (in particular if you are already developing your solution on such a platform) I would love to see an alternative to these offerings being created in the open source community so that we can keep independent from major players and keep in control of the devices of our customers and the data they produce ourselves.

At Bosch we are expecting such an open source IoT platform for the cloud to evolve over the next years. However, being a member and strong believer in the eclipse IoT Working Group we would like to do more than waiting for the advent of such a platform but instead would like to be a part of the community driving and creating it.

Earlier this year we have initiated a discussion around this topic within the IoT Working Group and started to document some initial ideas for such common infrastructure components in the wiki [1]. After the summer season we would now like to pick up the discussion regarding the scope and intent of the IoT Server Platform again and would love to see more members of the IoT Working Group taking part in order to create a clearer picture of what functionality the platform should provide and what components would therefore need to be created. I think this is an excellent opportunity for all of us to create relevant and exciting technology that will prove valuable to developers of IoT solutions targeting cloud deployments.

So if you have an interest in discussing and creating such technology we would love to hear about your thoughts on this mailing list and encourage you to take part in the upcoming calls we are setting up to discuss the IoT Server Platform. We will keep you posted regarding the dates and dial-in numbers on the mailing list!

With EclipseCon 2015 coming up we also would like to set up a session in the Unconference on Monday if there is a common interest for also discussing IoT Server Platform face-to-face. Would you be participating in such a session?

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/IoTServerPlatform

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Schöneberger Ufer 89
10785 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.de

Mobile +49 (151) 54336335
Phone +49 (30) 726 112-145
kai.hudalla@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Registered office: Berlin, Register court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 148411 B
Executives: Dr.-Ing. Rainer Kallenbach; Michael Hahn

Back to the top