Re: [iot-pmc] Advice for a generic exempt-prereq CQ: AGL

I believe that in the Kuksa case, it really is only AGL....at least for the moment. So this sounds like an exempt prereq to me.
Robert, when you open the CQ for approval, please cc me on it, as I usually get involved in approving exempt prereqs.
Thanks.

On 2019-07-15 3:01 a.m., Jens Reimann wrote:
I am curious if that is even necessary. And please correct me if I am wrong:

AGL could only be one platform you are running on?! And, as you said, you are not even distributing AGL.

So I think this would fall under the same category of what we currently have with e.g. the Eclipse IDE. It does run on top of Linux, Mac OS, Windows, …

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 8:34 AM Hudalla Kai (INST/ECS4) <kai.hudalla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12.07.19 10:45, Robert Höttger wrote:
> Dear Iot-PMC team,
>
> one of the operating systems for Eclipse Kuksa's in-vehicle software is AGL (Automotive Grade Linux), which is licensed under various Licenses such as GPL, LGPL, and others.
> Some of our tools, such as the FOTA (firmware over the air) update project, assume that the AGL software is available on a target machine.
> We will not distribute such AGL software.
> The dependency tree over such AGL software can be quite expansive. As an example, `u-boot-fw-utils` has already 34 dependencies on the first two levels.
>
> Is a generic AGL exempt prerequisite CQ reasonable / possible here?

In general, this this sounds very reasonable to me. I am no expert in
AGL but I guess the challenge will be to define the scope of AGL, i.e.
what would be covered by an exempt pre-req for AGL and what will not. In
your particular case, would u-boot-fw-utils be considered part of AGL or
not and on what grounds? Is there a "formal" definition of AGL's scope?

> Any advice appreciated!
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Robert
>

> ==============================
> Fachhochschule Dortmund
> University of Applied Sciences and Arts
> ==============================
> Robert Hoettger
> IDiAL Institute
> Otto-Hahn-Str. 23, 44227 Dortmund
> room  EG 04
> phone +49 231 9112-9548
> robert.hoettger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> www.fh-dortmund.de

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht
Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke;
Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn, Dr. Aleksandar Mitrovic

Jens Reimann
Principal Software Engineer / EMEA ENG Middleware
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany
phone: +49 89 2050 71286