Re: [iot-pmc] Concierge 1.0 release review

Hello Jan,

I just did have a a look at the review information you provided and have
a few comments. You might already know them since they should not be
that different to the e-mails we exchanged earlier with Kai.

For new Eclipse projects it is customary to start with a 0.1.0 release.
There are exceptions for projects which have had releases before coming
to the Eclipse Foundation, and which do have a community which would get
confused by dropping the version. For example Eclipse SmartHome (correct
me if I am wrong) started with 0.6.0 since openHAB did have earlier
public releases for quite a while. openSCADA did have a 1.2 version and
still released Eclipse SCADA as 0.1. In your case I would expect a 0.1
release.

For graduation I would refer to [1] and would like to understand how the
project fulfills these criteria.

In my personal opinion I think it is too early for graduation. This is
the first release ever of Concierge, and for "getting the Eclipse way" I
think it needs at least a second release in the Eclipse community before
thinking about graduation. In addition I don't see much community
activity around the project. But I might just not see that.

Don't get me wrong, I think Concierge is a great project and you are
doing a great job! And doing a 0.1 incubation release does not mean that
the project is not ready for productive use. But I do think from an
Eclipse open source project's perspective it is too early for 1.0 and
graduation.

Kind regards

Jens

[1]
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/HOWTO/Criteria_for_Graduating_from_Incubation_Phase_to_Mature_Phase

On 10/07/2015 06:40 PM, Jan S. Rellermeyer wrote:
> Dear IOT PMC,
>
> on behalf of the entire Concierge project I would kindly like to ask you to
> review and approve our 1.0 release review documentation which can be found
> embedded into the project metadata:
> https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/iot.concierge/releases/1.0.
> We would like to combine the 1.0 release with graduation.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jan.
>
> Concierge project lead

IBH SYSTEMS GmbH
D-85235 Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn
Läutenring 43
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Dr. Thomas Heitzig

Amtsgericht München
Handelsregister Nummer  HRB 197959
USt ID: DE267945175

Office Munich
D 80992 München
Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1
T +49 89 18 9 17 49 0

to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or pivileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
material from any computer.