Re: [iot-pmc] iot-pmc Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3 (Implementing IEC Standards)

On 09/01/2015 1:16 PM, Brad Powell wrote:
I haven't been following this mailing list for long, so may not be aware of any back-story behind this.
Would you mind elaborating briefly on what led to this decision?

Brad,

Most of the standards organizations that Eclipse has dealt with in the past have nice, explicit copyright language that explains what you can and cannot do with their specs. The IEC does not. They have quite clear statements about patents, but not about copyrights. So frankly we spun our wheels in the mud for quite a while trying to understand what that meant.

After consulting with our legal and other advisors we have decided that we can provide open source implementations of some IEC standards, and intend to evaluate them on a case-by-case basis.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top