[incubation] Contributions via GitHub, how to handle squash commits

Dear All,

We host our project at GitHub particularly for simplifying contributions of non-committers.

There is not much documentation in the wiki about how to manage that:
"If the project repository is hosted on GitHub, you can issue a standard GitHub pull request. Ensure that you have a ECA and that the commit record is properly "Signed-off-by" before you issue the request."
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Contributing_via_Git

Two questions regarding the "commit record":

1) What happens if a contributor has forgotten to sign-off? Is it possible to "sign-off" the pull-request?

2) We use "Squash and Merge" commits in order to reduce the size of the commit history and to simplify the identification of problematic commits (since a commit then usually correlates with a task and a specific fix or new feature). In that case, the initial "commit record" of the contributor is gone, and the commit has to be performed by a committer.

I think that I already have answers to these questions:

1) At least one commit needs to be signed of by the contributor, assuming all commits were done by the same contributor.

2) GitHub's "Squash and Merge" creates a new commit, but preserves the information about the original commits in the comment. This information is used by the IP tooling to gather information about the contributor, even though the "squash commit" is done by a committer.

Is this correct?

Best regards,
Jens

Back to the top