Re: [incubation] Sub-projects -- theory and practice

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Jens von Pilgrim <developer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are not quite sure when, but in the long-run we assume that these libraries should become separate projects. We assume that this shouldn't be a problem then, would it?
What do you recommend in a situation like that in general? Or does anyone has completely different ideas of how we could solve the situation?

I would suggest you ask and help the authors about making there libraries Eclipse.org projects. I'm pretty sure Foundation staff would assist you in lobbying for it.
It actually doesn't come with much constraints: it's most likely fine for an Eclipse.org project to use GitHub and to release on their own repo at their own frequency and so on.
Moreover, that would also allow to clear the IP sustainably: their code is currently EPL, but are the transitive deps compatible with EPL, will the next versions remain compatible with EPL...? The CQ steps are really important to figure that out, and being an Eclipse.org project and following the Eclipse.org IP rules should guarantee you -as a consumer- that the IP will always be compatible.

HTH

Back to the top