Re: [incubation] GitHub, initial contribution, history, and GitHub issues

Hi Denis,

Thank you for your answer. I'm not quite sure I understand everything....

On 18.04.17 16:15, Denis Roy wrote:
1. Git History
We create a branch called "_old" and rewrite the entire commit history
up to your "Initial Contribution" tag into that new branch.

I'm still not sure whether I get the point. At the moment, we have a repository at https://github.com/numberfour/n4js with a long history (>3.000 commits). I'm talking about these 3.000 commits.

This branch "_old" is then also checkout if I simply clone the repository? Does it contain the current history (i.e., the 3.000 commits)? But then the entire history would be in the new repository, wouldn't it?

For that reason, we ask that you work with your community in sync'ing
everything up before tagging the Initial contribution, as rewriting
history will invalidate all the clones and forks that exist.

I assumed that we will create an CQ with the "Initial Contribution". Would it be sufficient for the initial contribution to be just a tag on our existing repository?

During the review we have to continue to work on our initial repository, since we won't be able to already use the Eclipse repository. This may be speed up using parallel IP though. I assume that we probably have to create another CQ for the work done during the review phase?

2. GitHub Issues
If it is possible to somehow transfer the history, is it possible to
transform issues as well?

I don't think you need to worry about issues.  I believe those can live
on, even past ones.

What do you mean with "live on"? Where? In our old repository, or in the new (Eclipse) one. In the latter case we'd need to move them (or export/import them), don't we?

Regards,
Jens

Back to the top