[hono-dev] Hono chat now on Gitter

Dear Hono community,

for a long time we have been using the traditional IRC chat system to
conduct discussions around the development of Hono.
The IRC system has been working flawlessly for us, but over time people
started to complain about how hard it was to join in late on a
discussion due to the lack of server side chat history, i.e. if your
client is not running all the time, you will miss all the messages
having been sent during your offline time.

During the last years, several other chat systems which do support
server side chat history have popped so we decided to take a look at
them and find an alternative to good old IRC.

After some evaluation we have settled for Gitter to be our new chat
system of choice. It has history, integration with GitHub (so we can
easily refer to issues/PRs etc) and it is also used by some other
Eclipse IoT projects already.
So please feel free to join our room on Gitter [1] and follow and/or
participate in the discussions.

The old IRC channel will still be up for some time and some of the
committers will still keep an eye on it, but all relevant discussions
will be conducted on Gitter from now on.

[1] https://gitter.im/eclipse/hono

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht
Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke;
Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn, Dr. Aleksandar Mitrovic

Back to the top