[hono-dev] Adapt Telemetry/Event API to reflect removal of Hono Messaging

Hi list,

when we originally created the Telemetry and Event APIs, we did not (yet) have
the clean separation between Hono and the AMQP Messaging Network. This was also
reflected in the API definitions, e.g. the southbound operations (used by
protocol adapters to send data downstream) referred to "Hono's Telemetry/Event
endpoint" when if fact the protocol adapters connect to the AMQP Messaging
Network (because there is no Hono Messaging anymore). The same applies to the
northbound operations. IMHO we should therefore adapt the APIs and explicitly
mention the AMQP Messaging Network as the container that the adapters and
downstream consumers need to connect to. In the end, all we are doing is defining
a set of addresses and properties for sending/receiving messages "the Hono style"
(which has a lot of value in my opinion) over the AMQP Messaging Network.
However, I think it would help with making the responsibilities of the Protocol
Adapters vs. the AMQP Messaging Network more explicit.

WDYT?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB
148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke; Managing Directors:
Dr. Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn

Back to the top