From: hono-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <hono-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Frank Karsten (INST/ECS4)
Sent: 14 август 2018 г. 13:10
To: hono developer discussions <hono-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [hono-dev] Commands & Control in HonoClient

Hi Avgustin,

>If the HonoClient is just application oriented then why it provides MessageSender-s (e.g. getOrCreateTelemetrySender, getOrCreateEventSender) as well as registry/credentials/tenants access >(e.g. getOrCreateRegistrationClient, getOrCreateCredentialsClient, getOrCreateTenantClient)? Which are completely in scope of protocol adapter. That made me feel that HonoClient is not just >about the applications but for the protocol adapters too (which are also kind of clients for Hono server/core. Sorry if my terminology is not correct but  by Hono server/core I mean Hono without >adapters).

that is a valid question. IMHO we should come to a better separation of responsibilities in the future and I created an issue for this (https://github.com/eclipse/hono/issues/780).

Currently the HonoClient is focused on providing access to Hono’s APIs and this includes all the mentioned methods. With the (first) exception that the command consumer client

is offered by a child interface of HonoClient : CommandConnection.

I am sure it needs some discussions to come to a IMHO better solution in the future and would like to have this discussion in the created issue – there we can use GitHub’s capabilities to discuss certain code lines and focused comments (instead of using emails).

Please are very welcome to comment what I have written there.

>If you intend to have HonoClient just for applications and as simple as possible I suppose you should provide just message consumers and command client. Or I miss something?

No, I basically agree with what you wrote. This is mainly the content of the issue (meaning: we are not there yet..).

>I would agree with the concept of different API for applications and protocol adapters but then I think that protocol adapter support shall contain the senders and  as registry/credentials/tenants >clients.

+1

But the registry/credentials/tenants parts might be even a third client – needs some thoughts.

> if you clearly separate applications and protocol adapters support you should probably think about moving some protocol adapter support from HonoClient to ‘protocol adapter client/support’. It >seems cleaner API design and will make HonoClient lighter.

+1

Regarding the OSGi related questions, let me respond in a separated mail.

Thanks for having started this discussion about the HonoClient which I find quite useful!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Karsten Frank

(INST/ECS4)
Bosch Software Innovations GmbH | Ullsteinstr. 128 | 12109 Berlin | GERMANY