[hono-dev] removal of fabric8 maven plugin

Hi committers,

we are currently using the fabric8 maven plugin [1] for building the Docker
images for our services and generating the Kubernetes resource descriptors.

My original intention with using the fabric8 plugin for the latter purpose was to
be able to completely rely on the plugin to create the descriptors. However, over
time, this became more and more unrealistic because some of the interesting
features of Kubernetes are not covered by the plugin, e.g. specification of
volume mounts, explicit setting of selectors etc.

I have now discovered that it is also not possible to specify resource limits for
CPU and memory consumption. Based on all of these shortcomings and the fact that
the plugin seems to generate descriptors based on quite outdated kubernetes API
(extensions/v1beta1) only, I would therefore suggest to drop the fabric8 maven
plugin and instead manually author and maintain the descriptors as part of our
example module.

We would then also be able to get rid of the example module's dependencies on all
the other service artifacts and this might also be a good first step towards
providing Helm charts for the example deployment.

WDYT?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla
Chief Software Architect

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.com

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB
148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke; Managing Directors:
Dr. Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn

Back to the top