Re: [hono-dev] Commands using the HTTP adapter

Thanks for the response, Kai - see my answers inline below...

> > The "problem" I like to discuss is that I have some concerns about the
> > HTTP response delay:
> >
> > Looking at step 3.) and 4.) and the expectation that commands are much
> > less frequent than downstream messages, it would result in
> >
> > 3.) results in a quick answer
> >
> > 4.) results in a long delayed answer (will take the whole number of
> > seconds that were specified by "ttd")
> >

> > My feeling is we should have some information from the receiving
> > application if there is NO command as well, not only if there IS a command.
> >

> I do not see how we could accomplish this, given that Hono cannot know which
> applications would potentially send a command.

We could offer the application a way to inform the adapter that there is no command, so the
Adapter can answer the device request quickly without having to wait for the timeout.

Would consider this:
- future extension (not for M6)
- being optional to use it from the application

> > Proposal:
> >
> > To get a first version implemented we should nevertheless implement it
> > like outlined above, and clearly emphasize this behaviour in the
> > documentation by giving some setup recommendations, like:
> >
> > - devices rarely sending downstream messages may always set the "ttd"
> > and live with the fact that the responses are most of the time delayed
> > by this value
> >
> > - devices often sending downstream messages should better use the
> > introduced "empty event" to indicate every once in a while that they
> > are ready for a command, but NOT do this for every downstream message
> >
> sounds reasonable

Fine, so that will be the implementation resp. documentation for M6 then.

> > All is only affecting the HTTP adapter (due to the request/response pattern).
> >

> This also affects e.g. the MQTT adapter if the device follows a pattern of
> - wake up
> - connect
> - send data
> - disconnect