[hono-dev] All data needed?

Hi,

I just asked myself if we really need all the additional data we send with a telemetry or event in our default setting.

If we send the data as in our getting started we send

{"temp":5} as the data. We also really need device_id=4711 as the application property (and of course we send it to the address telemetry/DEFAULT_TENANT with contentType application/json).

But in addition to this we always set

Application properties: orig_adapter=hono-http, orig_address=/telemetry
Message annotations: tenant_id=DEFAULT_TENANT, device_id=4711, resource=telemetry/DEFAULT_TENANT/4711
(and the relatively verbose message id TelemetrySenderImpl-n).

So with a very simplified counting we could say to send 10 bytes data we need 54 bytes meta data and send in additional ~130 bytes often redundant data.

As long as we think that we have typical use cases with such small messages this is a big addition. Also if users rely on e.g. the message annotations in there implementations (we have not specified them, but they are present..), it could be a problem to remove them later.

Should we not by default remove the message annotations and add the orig_* properties only if configured as special need? But maybe I missed or do not remember the reasons for some of them.

WDYT?

Marc

Back to the top