[hono-dev] Device online status API for Command And Control

Hi all,

regarding one aspect of Command and Control (device notifications about their online state) I would like to start a short discussion here.

1.) Naming

We decided to define an own API for the online status of a device.

IMHO there are several possible namings for this API where I would like to get your opinions:

a) Device Status API

b) Device Notification API

c) Device Alert API

I would vote for b). What are your opinions? Or maybe none of them , but an option d)?

2.) Delivery guarantees:

We all agreed IMHO that we want to guarantee the delivery of notifications when devices are coming online (a lot of further aspects of C&C rely on that).

And have a best effort for the disconnect of a device.

But what does that mean in particular regarding the guaranteed notification?

I am not sure if there is any good value if we deliver this notification with QoS 1 (like events),

since the protocol adapter receiving an acknowledgement would not do much with it. If the delivery would be acknowledged with "no success", it would still deliver e.g. telemetry data.

So to me the guarantee to send the online notification means "we will send the notification, but we do not treat a not successful delivery".

So it looks to me like we send telemetry data - if no one listens to this API or the notification is somehow lost, there would be no consequences except for that no command could be sent.

WDYT?

Thanks Karsten

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Karsten Frank

(INST/ECS4)
Bosch Software Innovations GmbH | Ullsteinstr. 128 | 12109 Berlin | GERMANY
| www.bosch-si.com
Sitz: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr.-Ing.
Thorsten Lücke; Geschäftsführung: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn

Back to the top