Re: [higgins-dev] Problems running STS on Tomcat6 using JVM 1.6.x

Mike,

Thank you!  That seemed to work.  There was a c:\tomcat6\common\endorsed directory (actually, I had to create it).  Putting stax-api-1.0.1.jar into that directory apparently causes tomcat's class loader to look there before it looked at builtin classes. ... A little trick we'll have to remember going forward as other users run into this issue...

Daniel

>>> Michael McIntosh <mikemci@xxxxxxxxxx> 3/25/2008 5:33 PM >>>
Have you tried putting the stax-api-1.0.1.jar into the tomcat6 equivalent
of the tomcat5/common/endorsed directory?
I would have thought that by including the stax-api-1.0.1.jar in the WAR
file you would not need that.

Regards,
Mike

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/25/2008 07:15:33 PM:

> Mike,
>
> Working with Pam Dingle, we have discovered a problem running the
> STS on Tomcat6 using a 1.6.x JVM.
>
> The root cause of the problem is that the 1.6.x JVM apparently has a
> built-in version of the javax.xml.stream.XMLOutputFactory class that
> is not the precisely compatible with the XMLOutputFactory class that
> we supply in the stax-api-1.0.1.jar file.  There is a subtle
> difference in what methods are available.  The stax-api-1.0.1.jar
> file has the following method:
>
>    javax.xml.stream.XMLOutputFactory newInstance( String, ClassLoader);
>
> while the one in the 1.6.x JVM (inside rt.jar) has the following method:
>
>    javax.xml.stream.XMLInputFactory newInstance( String, ClassLoader);
>
> Basically, the 1.6.x JVM version returns an XMLInputFactory object
> instead of an XMLOutputFactory object.
>
> The axiom code expects to be able to call a newInstance method that
> returns an XMLOutputFactory object.  It is called called in the
> following stack:
>
>    org.apache.axiom.om.util.StAXUtils.getXMLOutputFactory
(StAXUtils.java:97)
>    org.apache.axiom.om.util.StAXUtils.
> createXMLStreamWriter(StAXUtils.java:111)
>    org.apache.axiom.om.impl.llom.OMNodeImpl.serialize
(OMNodeImpl.java:381)