[higgins-dev] [*** SPAM ***]Re: Version numbering of Higgins itself

Paul Trevithick wrote:
The entire Higgins project (coarsest level described above) was called
"Higgins 1.0" for the release that we completed in February. We had desired
that the next big release in about 6-12 months be called "Higgins 1.1". But
you said that that wouldn't work.
Did I say that? I'm pretty sure that's not what I said, but if I did, sorry. What I thought I said was that a release "1.0.1" and "1.0.2" with new features wasn't going to work. The 1.0.1 should be for bug fixes only, not new features. But definitely a release "1.1" with new feature is not only acceptable, but also correct and desired.
I don't
believe that the EF uses the "feature numbering" rules to choose version
numbers for the IDE.
Well, the EF doesn't do the numbering - the projects do - but I think you're talking about the Eclipse Top-Level Project and the Platform SDK in which case I'm pretty sure that they do follow the rules. Do you have a specific example where they are not doing so?
Just like the Eclipse IDE
we'd like to use version numbers whose minor number changes approx once per
year (e.g. Eclipse 3.1, 3.2, 3.3) and every now and then for something truly
cosmic, changes in the major number (e.g. Eclipse 4.0).

Perfect - we are in 100% agreement.

- Bjorn
--

[end of message]