RE: [higgins-dev] Telecon to discuss alternatives to Node

Jim,

I should have explained. The diagram reflects some proposed updates to the model, not what’s in v1.0 of the data model. I’ve been working on a series of changes, improvements to the model as part of the HOWL update. As part of this when we moved away from using RDF reification, this simplification became clear: complex values can now be Nodes or BlankNodes. If it is a Node and if/when we move over to the updated model IContext.getNode(<someNodID>) should return a complex value. A BlankNode is a node without a NodeID. If the complex value is a BlankNode, then it cannot be found using IContext.getNode (which gets us back to where we are with complex values in v1.0).

-Paul

From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Sermersheim
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 6:50 AM
To: 'Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions'
Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] Telecon to discuss alternatives to Node

Ok, either I'm confused now, or IdAS is not representing things as you describe them, Paul.  In IdAS, a complex attribute is not a node.  Otherwise someone would be able to get that node using IContext.getNode(<someNodeID>).  I know I may be using screwed up logic to come to this understanding of what you're saying.  Let me know if I am.

Jim

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/01/08 10:45 PM >>>

Although Entity was the winner of the vote, it was decided at the Higgins call last Thursday that we needed a dedicated call to make sure that we’re all on the same page as to exactly what we’re naming here. We felt that we needed at least one of the folks proposing the winning “Entity” term to be present on the call before we can finalize this issue. The non-Entity folks were not convinced that we’re all seeing the problem (never mind the solution) the same way.

To try to get to closure, I’ve created: http://doodle.ch/7sfxpr6hvu29wnys to pick a good time on Wednesday to discuss this.

One more thing...

Nodes don’t just represent people and their interconnections in the social graph. Nodes (along with Attributes) are the building blocks for representing

everything

: People, Groups, Events, Documents, Postal Addresses in a Context.

Speaking of which, here’s an example of a Node representing some partial aspect of a Person Entity that has an attribute “hasAddress”  whose value is a Node representing a postal address. When the value of an attribute is a Node, we call this a “complex” (as opposed to a literal) value. Literal values are drawn as squares.

[If you’re familiar with RDF you’ll see that a Higgins Node is almost exactly the same concept as an RDF node.]

If, after the discussion, we all think we really are seeing the issues the same way, then we’ll settle on Entity as the Node replacement, as it was the most popular term.

-Paul

I did think of one other word too: “item”.

Back to the top