Re: [gmf-dev] CVS: GMF release state tagged, maintenance branch is created

Hi Anthony,

  As far as I can see in CVS, you are changing the MANIFEST.MF's to 1.0.100.qualifier in the maintenance branch (R1_0_maintenance) whereas to my best understanding, plugins which get bugfixes should become 1.0.1.qualifier in the maintenance branch, and 1.0.100.qualifier in the HEAD. And this guarantees that the plugins from the next major version (version 2.0) with these fixes will for sure override ones from the maintenance release (1.0.1/1.0.2) in the user configuration.

Below is the excerpt from the document you were referring:
-cut-
Example: At the end of the development stream N, the version of the plug-in P is 2.4.8. When P receives its first bug fix in the development stream N+1 or higher, then the version should be changed to 2.4.108. If P version 2.4.8 needs to receive a bug fix in the maintenance stream started from N, then its version number will be 2.4.9.
-cut-

 In our case, the development stream (N+1 = 2.0) is in HEAD, the maintenance stream is in R1_0_maintenance branch.

Am I missing something?

Best regards,
Max

Anthony Hunter wrote:
Hi All,

A quick note as per http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering

Second development stream
 - 1.0.100 (indicates a bug fix)

We have been changing the MANIFEST.MF to 1.0.100.qualifier in plug-ins we
fix a bug in.

Cheers...
Anthony

             Richard Gronback
             <richard.gronback
             @borland.com>                                              To
             Sent by:                  "GMF Project developer
             gmf-dev-bounces@e         discussions."
             clipse.org                <gmf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, GMF Release
                                       List <gmf-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
             06/29/2006 06:13
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: [gmf-dev] CVS: GMF release
                                       state tagged, maintenance branch
             Please respond to         is created
               "GMF Project
                 developer
               discussions."
             <gmf-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Thanks, Max.

Everyone should read and understand this document regarding versioning,
paying particular attention to the service segment guidelines:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering

Basically, no API breakage, new APIs or features, visible changes, etc. can
be made.  Only bug fixes.

The Callisto maintenance stream was a topic at the Planning Council meeting
this week, we agreed to target 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 releases to be coincident
with Callisto's.  The exact dates will be published, and should align with
normal platform maintenance releases at end-September and Q107.

Thanks everyone,
Rich