[glassfish-dev] First step towards Java 21 virtual threads in GlassFish

Hi all,

I've cooperated with Petr Aubrecht from Payara on an implementation of executor services in GlassFish with virtual threads.

Here's our first PR into the Concurro repository:

https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/glassfish-concurro/pull/65

This PR implements a ManagedExecutorService and ManagedThreadFactory implementations that use Virtual Threads instead of platform threads, including a test suite copied and adapted from the one for the existing platform threads executor.

It also brings multirelease JAR support so that the final Concurro JAR can be used both with Java 21 (with Virtual threads support) and Java 11-20 (without VT threads).

We are also working on a scheduled executor, but that will come in a separate PR later.

Please review the PR, so that we can get it quickly into a new release of the Concurro artifact and start working on integrating it into GlassFish 8 milestones.

All the best,
Ondro Mihalyi

Director, Jakarta EE expert
OmniFish - Jakarta EE Consulting & Support | www.omnifish.ee
Omnifish OÜ, Narva mnt 5, 10117 Tallinn, Estonia | VAT: EE102487932

Back to the top