[geotrellis-dev] The state of the repository: Moved to LocationTech, history is gone

Hi everyone,

Our repository is moved to LocationTech now, and resides at https://github.com/locationtech/geotrellis. This is a key step in our transition to LocationTech, and along with our initial contribution being declared IP clean, we now are clear for a 1.0 release under locationtech. We are still in the Release Candidate process, with RC2 coming out soon, and we are targeting mid-December for the final release.

You may notice that there is now only one commit showing, and one contributor. The eclipse foundation process of taking on a project ends up with the repository in this state. This is unfortunate, because commit count and contributor count are important statistics for a GitHub repository. Easy access to commit history is also important. Being able to list the committers in GitHub allows users to be credited with contributions, and allows new users to understand who the core committers on the project are. Because of this, I am going to try my best to find a way to get back our commits on the GitHub page. However, there is a lot of work to be done before the release, so for now we'll have to live with it as is.

I will leave the master on my fork alone, so that you can see the commits and contributor graphs on the geotrellis fork on my page:
https://github.com/lossyrob/geotrellis/graphs/contributors

You can also access old history by switching to the _old/master branch:
https://github.com/locationtech/geotrellis/tree/_old/master

There is even a way to tie the old history to the new history on your local clone of the repository, by running this command (see https://wiki.eclipse.org/GitHub#.28Optional.29_Git_Replace_history)

$ git fetch origin refs/replace/*:refs/replace/*

There are also additional steps you need to take to existing clones and forks in order to set them to the new master. Those steps can be found here:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/GitHub#End_User_required_actions

Please bear with us as we try to right the ship after this disruptive change. Also feel free to ask any questions about the transition, how to fix up your fork or clones, or anything else here or in the Gitter channel (which is still at https://gitter.im/geotrellis/geotrellis)

Thanks,
Rob

Back to the top