Re: [geotrellis-dev] submitting GeoTrellis to Eclipse LocationTech - what does it mean

GeoTrellis Community,

I'm writing to provide an update on the status of the submission of GeoTrellis to the LocationTech working group at the Eclipse Foundation.

I'm also writing to ask you all to subscribe to what will become the new mailing list for the GeoTrellis project at:  https://www.locationtech.org/mailman/listinfo/geotrellis-dev  We are sad about this because Google Groups has many nice features, but, unfortunately, we don't have much choice.  So please add your name to the new GeoTrellis mailing list.

Here's the status on the various tasks we've been carrying out:

1) Submit Proposal - done
2 Two Week Comment Period - done
3) Trademark Review - Azavea transferred the GeoTrellis logo and name trademarks
4) Eclipse mentors assigned - done
5) Creation review - done
6) Provisioning - Eclipse team sets up committer records, mailing lists and CI infrastructure - done
7) At Start of Incubation -> Initial Contribution of source - snapshot of the code as a zip file attached to CQ in IPzilla - done
8) During Incubation
 -> Write Project Metadata - done
 -> Edit and style the project page on the LocationTech web site - done
 -> Transfer mailing list - it turns out we can't export and import users, as we'd expected, so I need to ask you all to sign up for the mailing list at https://www.locationtech.org/mailman/listinfo/geotrellis-dev
 -> Submit a CQ (contribution questionnaire) for each dependency in GeoTrellis - This has turned out to be a huge amount of work - far more than we expected.  This is one of the first Scala projects at Eclipse and  the work of preparing CQs has fallen almost entirely on the GeoTrellis and GeoMesa projects.  Big thanks go to Rob Emanuele and Adam Fink, who've taken this on.  Adam has been doing the research and prepared a pile of materials and Rob Emanuele has been reviewing and submitting the CQs.  We've got several dozen submitted and several dozen ready for review and submission
 -> Fix problems turned up in IP review - I don't think we have any glaring issues yet, but we'll see how the remainder goes

The following remain to be done after the IP review is complete:

9) Acceptance
 -> Transfer GitHub repository from GeoTrellis organization to LocationTech organization
 -> Transfer build system to Eclipse Maven-based system on Hudson (we were told this is optional, but it's sounding less optional lately)
 -> Merge in changes since IP review
 -> Announce acceptance
10) Initial release after acceptance

And we've also been hard at work on release 0.10 over the past few months.  There's still some work to do, but we've got some solid progress on:

 * Integration of Spark - this has been a major refactor
 * Support for HDFS
 * Support for storing data in Accumulo
 * GeoTIFF reader
 * Re-projection and mosaicing on data ingestion
 * Vagrant/Ansible scripts for easier setup

We can't do the 0.10 release until the Eclipse incubation process is done, but stay tuned.   And please sign up for that new mailing list because that's where new messages will be going soon.

Best,

Robert

Robert Cheetham

Azavea  |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
cheetham@xxxxxxxxxx  | T 215.701.7713  | F 215.925.2663
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  |  Twitter @rcheetham  and @azavea

Azavea is a B Corporation - we apply geospatial technology for civic and social impact
while advancing the state-of-the-art through research.  Join us