Re: [geomesa-users] Data stores comparison

Hi Lee,

Yes, there are some differences between the implementations.  GeoMesa started on Accumulo and that implementation has the most features and most testing.  If you have the option to use Accumulo for GeoMesa, I'd encourage it!

If you need to process streaming data, GeoMesa has the Kafka DataStore.  There are some alternatives to use Camel routes with the GeoMesa streaming data store, but the Kafka DataStore is the primary solution for streaming use cases.

If you don't need all the features of GeoMesa on Accumulo, the options are HBase (and consequently Google's Cloud Bigtable offering) and Cassandra.  There is active development on GeoMesa's capabilities with both datastores.

GeoMesa support for the various datastores share a common set of command line tools and other general tools.  During a proof of concept phase, it would be possible to switch between the different backends to run a comparison.

Great question; let us know if you have others!

Jim