Re: [geomesa-users] Why Accumulo?

Hi Kamil,

Your question is fair one.  The quickest answer is that the teams developing GeoMesa and GeoWave are using Accumulo due to customer preference.  When we started GeoMesa as a project, HBase was not as mature, and Accumulo had desirable and unmatched security capabilities.

That said, we do want GeoMesa to be as relevant as possible.  To that end, we implemented support HBase as we worked to bring GeoMesa to Google Cloud BigTable.  It isn't as well documented, and there's plenty of work to expand that capability, but it does exist.  In terms of library code to help adapt to new datastores, the GeoMesa codebase does have several components which serve to aid in ETL and general data maintenance.

As another note, GeoMesa does have support for working with streaming data via Kafka: http://www.geomesa.org/geomesa-kafka-quickstart/.  Additionally, we've used Storm internally extensively.

At the end of the day, if you are interested in supporting GeoMesa on HBase, either financially or via code contributions, I'd love to work with you offlist about possibilities.

Thanks!

Jim