Re: [geomesa-dev] How to specify the Kafka topic name

Hi Dale,

Ah!  There's an optional bit of configuration which is at the root of this issue.  The Kafka topic name is a synthesis of the 'zkPath' and the SimpleFeatureTypeName.  The 'zkPath' is optional, and has a default value of '/geomesa/ds' which leads to default Kafka topics beginning with 'geomesa-ds-kafka-".

The KafkaDataStore QuickStart does have a reference to the code here: https://github.com/geomesa/geomesa-tutorials/blob/master/geomesa-quickstart-kafka/src/main/java/com/example/geomesa/kafka/KafkaQuickStart.java#L70-L74.

Since this is an important detail, I checked the documentation, and a note is on this page: http://www.geomesa.org/documentation/developer/api.html#data-producers

"The zkPath parameter is uses to make the Kafka topic name unique to the zkPath used by the KafkaDataStore so that the same SimpleFeatureType can be used by multiple KafkaDataStores where each data store has a different zkPath."

If you have any suggestions about how to bubble this config up in the documentation or make that configuration more clear in the QuickStart, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Jim