Re: [faces-dev] Minimum Java for Faces 5.0

Hi,

as Jakarta EE 11 will be based on Java 21, I would expect that Faces would go there too.

EOL date for Java 11 is October 2024 for Eclipse Temurin and I would not expect Jakarta EE would like to depend on obsoleted technologies. Older Faces versions can be maintained and updated, however, if there would be an interest and some community working on that.

Do MyFaces really want to hold on with Java 11? How long they want to stay there?

Differences - ie. Java 11 is much more benevolent (compared to 17) when you use reflection, proxies, etc. And doesn't support records, etc. However I am not sure how much they are required for Faces.

Note: These are just my thoughts about it, don't take it as some consensus.

--
David Matejcek | OmniFish
david.matejcek@xxxxxxxxxxx