Re: [esf-dev] ESF More Tightly Anchored to SysML

Hi Dan,

First, thanks for your interest in our project, all ideas and comments are welcomed !

I think that you have correctly understood our goal when we have started the project : try to formalize and spread the MBSA (Model Based Safety Analysis), to ease the
interactions between design and safety assessment activities. Building an Open Source tool is also an important choice to achieve this. That's why we want to build a fully customisable tool, which can help the safety engineers to perform its "standard" analysis, but which can also be modified and enriched to be suitable to any specific needs.

The first step was to build a metamodel opened to the different approaches (FTA, FMEA, etc.) and domains (
ISO 26262, etc.). The metamodel architecture is thus organised in different layers, from a common core to the specific layers. We also had to choose on which standard metamodel we can rely : UML or SysML. It's true that we have some concept tightly related with SysML ones for the architecture part (like SBlock, and SPort). But we thought that it was not efficient to depend on all SysML just for these concepts. This leads us to define our own architecture part but to be clear for any user that our 'Block' is not the 'SysML Block', we have decided to use a prefix for our own concepts (SBlock, SConnector, etc.). This choice can be discussed, as we had some opposing opinion from users.

By the way, we have organised some open discussion between CEA, ALL4TEC and other industrials about the metamodel as it will continue to evolve. Do you want to be invited for the next sessions ? It can be a first step to contribute to the project.

Regards,

Jonathan