Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] peer-to-peer downloads (ECF)

Hi Jeff,

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Would it be reasonable to use bittorent to download *parts* of things?

It is not straightforward to download, say, "positions" 10k - 50k of a
1 meg file, if that's what you mean.

> For
>  example, if you look at an entire repo as one file then when you want just
>  one of the artifacts in the file/repo you could appeal to the torrent to get
>  it.

However, the downloading of individual files is doable and torrents
are capable of defining a collection of files to be shared and if you
just want files 5 - 10 out of 20, you can set it to only get 5-10.

>  Seems that bittorent clients can look for peers that have parts of
>  files so if there was an index saying which artifacts are in what parts of
>  the torent file, a client could just look for the parts of interest and lay
>  them out on disk appropriately.

Not totally sure what you mean here (possibly because I am not
familiar with p2?), but if you want specific parts of _one_ file, then
that is not as straightforward (per my first reply at the top) than
compared to say one whole file.

In BT, peers do tell other peers what pieces (note, pieces !=
individual files) they have so that they can upload/download from each
other...not sure if that answers your question as you probably knew
about that already.

Rem