Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox and Extension/Extension Point

The function in org.eclipse.equinox.registry is not specified in an OSGi standard.  That API has been in use in Eclipse for many years but we have, as yet, not made any attempts to standardize it.

The bundle does *not* depende on the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle.  It imports org.eclipse.core.runtime package.  It does depend on the org.eclipse.equinox.common bundle for some common utility and helper classes used throughout Eclipse.

There are many documents (books, help entries, articles) around on how to use the Eclipse extension registry mechanism.  Perhaps the easiest thing is to look through the Eclipse help at
        http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp
        http://help.eclipse.org/help32/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/runtime.htm
        http://help.eclipse.org/help32/topic/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/guide/tools/editors/manifest_editor/editor.htm

Note that this kind of question is actually better asked on the Equinox newsgroup.
Jeff

"Piero Campanelli" <pierocampanelli@xxxxxxxxx>

10/09/2006 04:40 PM

Please respond to
pc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Equinox and Extension/Extension Point

Hi,
I am fascinated about the plugin engine of Eclipse (Extension/Extension Point). Digging in Equinox I found that now it is implemented in "org.eclipse.equinox.registry". Clearly it's not standard OSGi and so this bundle depends from " org.eclipse.core.runtime". is it correct? Where can i find a simple step-by-step example that shows how to use this service? I can dig into various eclipse documentations/books but I am searching something easy to test and try with equinox. Thank you
-Piero