Re: [epp-dev] Moving a package to Java 11 as requirement

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:56 PM Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@xxxxxx> wrote:
Would you share your experience so far? I'm looking for concrete examples that could improve productivity with 11.

Some things like ProcessHandle, some methods in NIO or Collectors are the first one that come to my mind. But I face more and more frequently the wish to use a method that Java 8 doesn't provide and spend some time building workarounds instead.

I'm not a package maintainer, but we have some customers that insist on compatibility because they won't touch a line of code just because they fear too loose their job if something breaks.

Well for Corrosion, I think it's relatively safe as it's already a community that seems to like "fresh" stuff.

But for the IDE itself it should be possible to run on higher Java versions than the product, so I personally don't have any objections if some packages would move.

OK

There are old package versions around for people with Java 8.

2020-03 will forever be Java 8 compatible ;)

Back to the top