Re: [epp-dev] What's the purpose of Eclipse Standard ?

We've had a lot of discussion on that topic. There's no one right package to put at the top. And you can argue whether we have the right breakdown of packages to begin with.

IMHO, the best solution is an installer that lets you pick from a handful of "personalities" or Eclipse Marketplace solutions and sets things up for you. Maybe then we'd get sane download numbers too since that should fake out the bots.

Doug.

From: epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Mickael Istria [mistria@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 2:33 PM
To: epp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [epp-dev] What's the purpose of Eclipse Standard ?

Hi all,

What's the purpose of having Eclipse Standard?
Is it really the distribution we encourage people to use by default?

I tend to believe that having this package at the top of the least is somehow misleading some people that would rather use another package. I'm not sure 36% of people actually have a use-case where Eclipse Standard is better than another package.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top