Re: [epf-dev] EPF Wiki authentifications

Hi Gunter,
It's true there no/little documentation on EPFWIKI_AUTH_BASIC. I put this in for my own purposes as I wanted something similar as you now want.

The idea of it is to reuse accounts, authentication of another existing web site that uses basic authentication to authenticate users. The current code assumes this site uses HTTP not HTTPS btw. My impression is that it is not exactly what you are looking for. Your setup is, I think, that you configured Apache to use basic authentication when accessing EPF Wiki.

Anyway, If you want to try to use EPFWIKI_AUTH_BASIC the steps are:
  1. Remove basic authentication on the EPF Wiki site
  2. Change ENV['EPFWIKI_AUTH_METHODS'] = 'validemail' to ENV['EPFWIKI_AUTH_METHODS'] = 'basic'
  3. Enable (remove #) #ENV['EPFWIKI_AUTH_BASIC'] = 'yourbasicauthsite.com,401,youremaildomain.com'  # host,fail code,domain for creating email
  4. Replace yourbasicauthsite.com with a the domain name of the site that uses basic authentication
  5. Replace youremaildomain.com with a the domain name of the email addresses of users. So for example if I login successfully with  account name 'onno' the EPF Wiki account will be created with email address onno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  6. Optionally change the HTTP response code when users fails to provide right credentials on yourbasicauthsite.com. Should always be 401 I think.
  7. Restart EPF Wiki/Apache
I have used this feature a few months, it worked for me, but it has been some time ago since I last used it. I'm willing to help you with it, if you want to try if it works for you.

The setup that I think you are thinking about, to extract the Apache user environment variable in EPF WIki and use that, is not possible without some additional coding, testing I'm afraid.

Best Regards,
Onno