Re: [emfcp-dev] Java 6 vs. 5

Am 29.06.2012 15:44, schrieb Maximilian Koegel:
Dear Committers,

I would like to bring up the question if we still want to run and/or
compile on Java 5 or if we should move on to Java 6. I am looking
forward to hear your opinions.
IMHO this is not so much a question for committers because moving on to Java 6 mostly means to leave Java 5 users behind. The questions should be:

1) Would Java 5 *users* accept to upgrade?
2) What would *they* gain?

And these questions should be asked on a forum that reaces users ;-)

Please note that "users" include other projects that may have their own restrictions. Compare https://bugs.eclipse.org/361932

My personal opinion is that the @Override for interface method implementations is the most appealing thing in Java 6. Hard to argue that users would gain some value from this, so it does not justify a change.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de