[ejb-dev] Delegate EJB features to Specs with More Affinity.

Hi all,

The EJB has being questioned about its benefits to this new era of Jakarta EE and what can we expect to its future.  In my opinion EJB has many interesting feature and can be useful today as well. Thus, I made a survey in Twiiter with community to ask about your opinion. Many persons said EJB is not necessary today, but 50% said EJB has interesting feature that can be useful today. With this, I published this survey in this post: https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/10/22/jakarta-ee-whats-in-store-for-enterprise-javabeans/

In this survey, some people propose another way, which is to obtain the interesting features of the EJB and distribute them to other specifications with more affinity. I liked this proposal and would like to start a discussion about it here.Ex.: Getting the MDB and delegate this feature to JMS.

These are some interesting features in my opinion:
  • Asynchronous Invocation
  • Stateless EJB pool
  • @Startup to  call a method at startup time
  • EJB Timer
  • Singleton
  • Message-driven bean (MDB)
  • Transaction management
Let me know if you think it has another interesting feature to nowadays.

If you agree those features can be distributed to another specs I would like to start to mapping each feature can be delegated to each spec.

I think distributing those features we can have those feature in a lighter technology and those features can be adopt easier by some projects that use some Jakarta EE specs but don't use the EJB. As an example we can quote Quarkus and Microprofile, that use CDI and can adopt some of those features, whether delegated to CDI.

Regards,
Rhuan Rocha

Back to the top