[ejb-dev] [DISCUSS] Removal of jakarta.ejb.EJBContext.getEnvironment()

Wanted to kick this off for a little more discussion (hopefully briefly).

We are removing two methods from EJBContext because the associated class `java.security.Identity` is being eliminated from the JVM after Java 11.

As Tracy points out we do need to also remove two methods of SessionContext because JAX-RPC is being eliminated.  I'll point out not only is JAX-RPC not being ported, but things JAX-RPC it uses will be repackaged (javax.xml.soap, javax.servlet) leaving the javax.xml.rpc package broken and several of those classes unable to load in a JVM.  Leaving the dependency would break jakarta.ejb.SessionContext and everything that depends on it.

Both the above are very much hard requirements because Jakarta Enterprise Beans will not be able to function with those two dependencies left in tact.

I would love to get a temperature read from everyone on the proposal to remove the `getEnvironment()` method from `EJBContext` while we're at it.

Pros:

 - It is the only reasonable time to do it as we are already breaking EJBContext

Cons:

 - It could start a trend of other projects removing deprecated methods

I could go either way on this one.  Do others have any thoughts?

Ideally we wrap this up by Friday as we're past-due for getting our Plan Review out -- it was due Monday.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Back to the top