[ee4j-pmc] Questions about licenses

Hi,

I have several questions related to project licenses. My goal is to clarify the usage of licenses and create samples which can be used as a reference.

We have two common use cases. The boilerplate spec is added using instructions from here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_Prepare_API_Projects_to_Jakarta_EE_8_Release.

1. Project is licensed under EPC 2.0 & GPL + c/p (ex. JSONB).

Project structure:

project_root
	spec
		LICENSE -> EPL 2.0
		pom.xml -> EPL 2.0 & GPL with c/p
	LICENSE.md -> EPL 2.0 & GPL with c/p
	pom.xml -> EPL 2.0 & GPL with c/p

Where is an inconsistency between licence in spec/pom.xml (EPL & GPL+c/p) and spec/LICENSE (EPL) in the same directory. Is it fine?

2. Project is licensed under EDL 1.0 (ex. JWS):

Project structure:

project_root
	spec
		LICENSE -> EPL 2.0
		pom.xml -> EPL 2.0 & GPL with c/p
	LICENSE.md -> EDL 1.0
	pom.xml -> EDL 1.0

Here is the same inconsistence as in the first use case plus an inconsistence between licenses in spec directory (EPL) and a project license (EDL). How to deal with it?

There is NOTICE.md file in each project which contains project license information. Example from JWS:

Declared Project Licenses

This program and the accompanying materials are made available under the terms of the Eclipse Distribution License v. 1.0 which is available at http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/edl-v10.php.

SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-3-Clause

Shall it include some information that content of spec directory is licensed under EPL?

Thanks,
Dmitry

Back to the top