Re: [ee4j-pmc] git release tags

Hi,

Thomas, is there already an explanation for the creation of the branch available?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:45 PM Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom Jenkinson wrote on 11/29/18 11:37 PM:

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 at 00:47, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom Jenkinson wrote on 11/29/18 12:26 AM:
> I can't actually spot the discussion about annotating the tags - what was the
> "subject" of the thread to help me find it please?
"git tags naming convention?"

It was a long thread, most of which wasn't about this.

I still can't find it in the archive. I searched for "git t" in the list in the archives:
Wrong list.  It was on this list, ee4j-pmc.

> If there is a recommendation for tag names, perhaps the following article
> could be updated to reflect it:
> https://wiki.eclipse.org/JakartaEE_New_Infra_Release_Job
> As it still adds the -RELEASE suffix and is not using annotation on the tag.
Yes, we should fix that.  Or you can!  It's a wiki!  :-)

I have just had a go at doing it but didn't complete it because there is a problem. I could change it to manipulate the script quite easily, it would be just to change:
RELEASE_TAG="${RELEASE_VERSION}-RELEASE"
git push --delete origin "${RELEASE_TAG}" && true (to git push --delete origin refs/tags/"${RELEASE_TAG}" && true)

But then we need to decide what to do with the branching:
git checkout -b ${RELEASE_VERSION}
Would create a branch with the same name due to:
RELEASE_VERSION=`echo ${SNAPSHOT_VERSION} | sed -e 's/-SNAPSHOT//'`
Which is also pushed to GitHub:
git push origin "${RELEASE_VERSION}"

On it's own that is not too bad, it's just that with GitHub when you have a branch and a tag with the same name it defaults to viewing the branch in the UI and I can't seem to find a way to force it to view the tag.
I'm not sure why that script creates a branch for the release.  Maybe Tomas can explain?  In any event, you could clearly name the branch with "${RELEASE_VERSION}-RELEASE".