RE: [eclipse-dev] PROBLEMS Using CVS from Eclipse

All right ! Thank you very much ! (to all)
After the first mail I received from Matt I started to look up for
"Cederquist Manual" in www.google.com and I found this link:
http://controls.ae.gatech.edu/labs/gtar/notes/
under the title "When something does not work look here"...
and I have to believe it !

Here's a copy of the text:
-------------------------
>Having problems with CVS and pserver ?
>Did you get something like this when you have your cvs root to be
>CVSROOT=:pserver:xxx.gatech.edu:/cvs/cvsroot ?
>The error message:
>cvs server: cannot open /root/.cvsignore: Permission denied
>cvs [server aborted]: can't chdir(/root): Permission denied
>Since the inetd entry recommended by the Cederquist manual is
>cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/cvs cvs
>--allow-root=/cvs/cvsroot
>For some reason when (running on Redhat 6.1) the command inherits the
>environment of root and the variable $HOME is set to /root, cvs tries to
>read $HOME/.cvsignore.
>What you really want is the system to read the environment of the user
>you are logging in as. In the C code for CVS it first checks for
>get_home_directory() and then checks for the users home only if
>get_home_directory() fails. i.e., $HOME should be unset when first
>executed so that get_home_directory() fails. So by changing your
>inetd.conf entry for CVS to be
>cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/env env -i /usr/local/bin/cvs
>-f --allow-root=/cvs/cvsroot pserver
>Essentially here you are not running cvs directly but calling the env
>command with the -i option and then the call to cvs. env executes
>programs. By specifying the -i entry you are saying the command to be
>executed (here it is/usr/local/bin/cvs) should not inherit an enviornment
>from anywhere.
>This may have side effects that I do not know of yet. If there are side
>effects. I'll update this.
>SKK Jan 7 2000
------------------------------------

I tried it and it worked well.  Thanks again.

- Mauro

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Kevin McGuire wrote:

> Matt is correct - its  likely a cvs server configuration error, nothing to
> do with Eclipse.
>
> Have a look at
>
> http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_21.html
>
>  cvs server: cannot open /root/.cvsignore: Permission denied
>  cvs [server aborted]: can't chdir(/root): Permission denied
>        See F.2 Trouble making a connection to a CVS server.
>

> The link takes you to
> http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_21.html#SEC184
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>

>                       "Matt Munz"
>                       <mmunz@xxxxxxxxxx>         To:      <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>                       Sent by:                   cc:
>                       eclipse-dev-admin@         Subject: RE: [eclipse-dev] PROBLEMS Using CVS from Eclipse
>                       eclipse.org
>

>                       16/08/2002 11:33
>                       AM
>                       Please respond to
>                       eclipse-dev
>

> Mr. Ardolino,
>
>   I am not familiar with Eclipse-VCM, but I have seen this kind of error
> before.  Can you perform checkout & checkin using the commandline CVS
> client?  Are you familiar with the Cederquist Manual?  As I recall, it has
> section that deals with the very error messages you describe.  I believe
> that your error may be unrelated to Eclipse.
>
>   AFAIK, the CVS server has to read .cvsignore for most if not all
> transactions.  Perhps your server is misconfigured?
>
>   - Matt

Ing.Mauro Daniel Ardolino
Departamento de Desarrollo y Servicios
Altersoft