[ecf-dev] ECF maintenance
  • From: Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 17:12:14 -0700
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1;
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; d=oxsus-vadesecure.net; s=arc-202309-rsa2048; t=1725149537; c=relaxed/relaxed; h=from:reply-to:subject:date:to:cc:resent-date:resent-from:resent-to:resent-cc:in-reply-to:references:list-id:list-help:list-unsubscribe:list-unsubscribe-post:list-subscribe:list-post:list-owner:list-archive; bh=JHL26phxQKoTaYbeZwd0RcDdrHSGgFzW0BhZy0ViC14=; b=U0eNB3ClCAOE5h/FopoMkmv9ywlZXqkArcjf1G5KDixSHX90QbS9DGbODrPdaZA31SgaRfgraTrxC3zlpLrbUa/QdU/VCEmMBQQQCVz3z3SrvN1Lv2BtGoK9b94J03CfjVdlHK4pYr39BCCcJUn1cku2sq/PYIn5xdeCODmGxnwuXJYHkjijbGo00PtvzwZybAy1trl7mR1DqJfjN88GxvhzFBT8qIJgJwRPD5VPqihkCbwQGPAgX5MmeZqJEVNBP3GPCbIEQhlxL2txCasn238BwHg94tQ/nQ7OoA+yfExtinul6oYTl8UogOxPbT3ipG94CJdhWbOsQPuLEnZoNg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; d=oxsus-vadesecure.net; s=arc-202309-rsa2048; t=1725149537; cv=none; b=DJmw7ZDpbNTJDKI7VIuwO/aMARqntIo2onjW4F7hVJCf0JDcwkMhJhDglvs07jDIWcDsRXQIXJg4u8Ox/5XWO21xr1lSItQpowmQL9zP1ttfzmJ2FqDQcyCKkFN19eb49fgd/Dk359eE9m7eiW8Dz4OnsNLfbImsLK45wCMfbYElKmceKIv9oDr7LvnGlIWT8Ls9I8CvzxcmHNjykOSOw2K2N/tEKCqbt/ZPVdRmDLeRQ/IhHQdlIsb4VWr0Pozg2MmEiIjA/epXzIkYO97165ZA0Xv9hoVj4eCCj+5Vf1t0SipynBEfVw9eoocywTxsJAaEJ2kmGQ8Vso3jxBGi/Q==

Hi Folks,

Although I haven't been making announcements for a while now, ECF has been having regular releases for many years now.  See the home page [1].  Since the move to github, the ECF EF repo is here [2].

Just in case everyone was not aware, most of the ECF new development has been taking place here for many years [3].  Most of the changes/releases of [2] have been bug fixes and small API additions, mostly to support Eclilpse IDE's use of ECF filetransfer, as well as other consumer's use of ECF's impl of OSGi Remote Services and Remote Service Admin.

I wanted to inform all on this mailing list that although I'll remain the ECF project lead and continue to support consumer's use of remote services/RSA, I won't be doing much more in support of the Eclipse IDE's use of ECF filetransfer.

If someone from the ECF community is interested in providing this maintenance support for the Eclipse IDE then please let all know.   It would likely mean becoming an ECF committer and becoming familiar with ECF filetransfer (which has a multi-provider architecture, currently using Apache httpclient 5.x *and* the JRE httpclient impl) in the IDE.  So familiarity with http/https/ssl and p2 would be helpful to have as experience. as well as some knowledge of the ECF codebase.  I'm happy to assist with this learning if necessary.

As I said, I'm not going anywhere and will continue to support this codebase for OSGi Remote Service/Remote Service Admin and any other use cases.  I will also be continuing and intensifying development on projects going on at [3], including etcd3 support, python<->java remote services, grpc-based distribution providers, JaxRS distribution providers, new things (e.g. RSA support in ipopo [4], a python based impl of OSGi bundles and service registry.

Best,

Scott

[1] https://eclipse.org/ecf

[2] https://github.com/eclipse/ecf